In medieval churches it was common that the windows were provided with stained glass with depictions from the Bible and of the lives of saints. The Grote Kerk was also the font of such windows. In the 16th and 17th century these windows were replaced by stained glass windows made of clear glass. This can be seen as a result of the Reformation.
In some chapels, ornamental edges were painted on the glass with family coats of arms. These decorative edges were removed in 1795. At that time, during the Batavian Republic, the adage ‘freedom, equality and brotherhood’ applied, and the use of family arms did not fit that adage.
In the collection of the Dordrecht Museum are some parts of these windows.
During the major restoration at the beginning of the 20th century all windows were provided with natural stone tracings and montants. Parts of the window frames and the lower sills also had to be replaced completely.
All the stained glass was also renewed.
Between 1903 and 1905, the windows of the choir were restored, then the Mariakoor was finished until 1908. All windows were provided with stained glass.
In the high glass panels of the choir windows, varied geometric-abstract patterns have been applied between the montants. The windows were probably drawn at the architectural office of Cuypers and Veth, the restoration architects. The accounts show that the stained glass was manufactured by the firm J. Sabelis & Co. in Haarlem.
During the course of the 20th and the 21st century, a number of windows of the church have been replaced by stained glass windows.
Some of these windows tell stories about the history of the church and Dordrecht, others carry symbolic representations. Combinations also occur.
Below is a short description of these windows.
Stoop windows in the Meerdervoort Chapel
In 1931 three windows were installed in the Meerdervoort chapel, offered by the Stoop family. The three windows form a triptych, in which Christ is central.
more about the windows in the Meerdervoortkapel
On the left, the birth (life) is central, in the middle the descent from the cross (death) and on the right the resurrection of Christ.
The windows were made in 1930/31 by Herman Veldhuis of Atelier van Gebrand Glas ‘t Prinsenhof in Delft.
Stoop windows in the Jerusalem Chapel
The Stoop family made a donation in 1907/1908 for stained glass windows. On 30 October 1909 the transfer of the three windows was placed in the Jerusalem Chapel. Drastic histories for the city of Dordrecht are depicted on these windows.
more about the windows in the Jerusalem Chapel
On the left is the Elisabeth Flood, the floods after a severe north-western storm that took place in 1421. The city fire of 1457 is depicted in the middle window.
The third window shows the surprise of Dordrecht. The city of Dordrecht was a plaything of boards that were sometimes on the hand of the Hook and then on the hand of the Cod. In 1480 the city had again come under a Hook board, in April 1481 a surprise attack was carried out by the Coders. Ships were loaded with willow wood, which in fact covered a mercenary army.
The windows were made by Atelier van Gebrand Glas ‘t Prinsenhof in Delft. Glazenier Herman Veldhuis is mentioned as the maker.
Broere windows in the St George chapel
In 2006, the Broere Charitable Foundation donated windows for the St George chapel (Dutch St Joriskapel). The windows have as theme the Dordtse guilds.
more about the windows in the St George Chapel
Designer Teun Hocks has made a collage of objects with digital photographs. The objects refer to the Dordt guilds of artisans but also to the contemporary disposable society.
The windows are made in glass studio Stef Hagemeier in Tilburg.
The Vriesendorp window in de St Pancras chapel
The Vriesendorp family had the Sint Pancras chapel restored in 1914. The window placed there is a design by the renowned architect Dr. P.J.H. (Pierre) Cuypers. Cuypers sr also designed the fence for this chapel.
more about the window in the Sint Pancras chapel
Pancratius (also known as Pancras) was tortured during the persecutions of the emperor Diocletian in the beginning of the fourth century. He would have been only fourteen years old at that time. He was executed in ancient Rome on the Via Aurelia.
The window was unveiled in May 1915.
The windows were made by Atelier van Gebrand Glas ‘t Prinsenhof in Delft.
The Overvoorde window in the St John’s chapel
The window in the St John’s chapel was donated in 1931 by Mrs J. Overvoorde-Gordon in memory of her husband, Dr J.C. Overvoorde. Around the turn of the century, Overvoorde was the city archivist of Dordrecht.
more about the window in the Sint Janskapel
The window is dedicated to the Order of St. John. The window shows the eight works of mercy of the order.
The windows are made by Herman Veldhuis of the Atelier van Gebrand Glas ‘t Prinsenhof in Delft.
The Krafft window in the southern transept
The margarine manufacturer P.G. Krafft made money available for a window in memory of his mother, Catharina van Santen.
more about the window in the southern transept
The design by the Groningen artist Johan Dijkstra was chosen. Five historical moments are incorporated in this window, namely the liberation of Dordrecht (1572), the holy supper with William of Orange (1574), the first Free States Assembly (1572), the Synod of Dordrecht (1618-1619) and the Bible translation of 1637.
The artist made the window himself.